Monday, January 29, 2007

Concerns Mount as Injuries Increase

By all accounts, this past week was an extremely successful training week. I logged about 15 miles and tackled a daunting 7 mile run on Saturday morning. Wednesday night, during a 4.5 mile run, I tweaked my left ankle. I didn't notice the discomfort until after I was finished.

Ice, compression, elevation and two days of rest followed. Saturday morning the ankle felt fine, although probably still a bit tender. I decided to run anyway, fearing I would fall behind if I fail to complete the long run. As I started running my ankle felt fine. No pain or discomfort at all.

Then it happened. As I ran down Eastern Parkway I hit a uneven slab of concrete on the sidewalk with my right toe. Violently, I lunged forward landing hard on my right foot. As this happened I know I let out a primal yelp. The whole event caught me by surprise. I stopped for a second and gathered my composure. Is everything ok? Nothing hurts, no pulls or breaks. I lucked out.

I finished the run, passing several Louisville landmarks along the way. I ran past St. X, and then turned left and passed the Louisville Zoo, through Joe Creason Park and up Newburgh Road. Then I passed Bellarmine University before turning right back onto Eastern Parkway. Stopping in front of Fleet Feet my Ipod read 6.97 miles. I jogged around for 30 more seconds until I finished 7 miles. 7.04 to be exact.

I felt great after the run. It was a real sense of accomplishment to run that many miles. That's the real allure of running. Conquering goals, that seem impossible with discipline and time. I returned home invigorated and pleased with my workout.

Robin was very sick on Saturday and spent most of the day on the couch sleeping. She contracted some sort of nasty virus that left her fevered and congested. This meant I spent most of the day on my feet attending to the many chores and children in my house. That's when I noticed the ankle pain.

I should have rested, but duty called and Robin was in no condition to get up. By the end of the day, my ankle was pretty sore. The next day, it felt even worse. Rest, ice, compression, elevation, repeat. That's all I can do.

It feels a little better this morning, but I won't run again until the pain completely subsides. These ankle twists are normal for runners, but the injury raises concerns. Will this put me off schedule? How long will this take to heal?

Thankfully, I am a bit ahead of schedule for the mini-marathon so I can afford to take some time off and rest. I'll keep you posted on how my rehabilitation progresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited your father this afternoon. He was trying so hard to get up and stand on his feet a task that is becoming more and more difficult for him but he is determined and doesn't give up. Do you remember the line from the movie "Glory" when Thomas was asked if he would pick up the flag for his fallen comrade. Justin, will you run for dad?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.