Thursday, January 18, 2007

Burning the Midnight Oil

Tonight is one of those nights I have to work into the wee hours of the morning. It doesn't happen that often and I don't really mind. Such is the life of an IT professional.

I ran tonight at about 8:20 to give myself a boost of energy. Unfortunately, I ate dinner at about 6:45. Now this probably would not cause any problems, except for the fact we had sausage, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes for dinner. Not necessarily light fare.

Midway through my run, as I was burping up sauerkraut, I realized the real accomplishment is not vomiting. Up to this point, I haven't hurled during any run. Eating a large German meal prior to a brisk run is a recipe for disaster.

I'm pleased to report that I did NOT throw up, although it took my unusually strong constitution to prevent that from happening. That was the longest 2 miles of my life. In addition, I think my pace suffered because of my full stomach and nausea. I ran at 10'59".

It's still miles under my belt as far as I'm concerned.

The night before I ran about 3 miles. I don't know for sure, because in my infinite wisdom I managed to turn off my Ipod right before my workout completed, thus erasing all the data. Duh.

I'm not too upset. I know I ran the miles. It just won't be recorded at Nike.com.

Tomorrow, I'll take the day off to rest. Then Saturday I'll attempt a 10k in the frigid cold. The wind chill that morning is supposed to top off at 17 degrees. Colder than a witches...well you know the rest.

No comments: