Monday, January 8, 2007

Gearing Up

This past Saturday I visited Fleet Feet on Bardstown Road to get fitted for my first pair of proper running shoes. I have to say, I enjoyed the experience. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate about running. In addition they took time to make sure I got exactly what I wanted and needed.

I feel obligated to mention Jen, the cheerful employee that assisted me in the store. She analyzed my running by video taping my stride on a treadmill. After that, I was given about four pairs of shoes to try on and test. Since I'm a pavement-pounder, that is, I do most of my running outside, I tested the shoes by running around the Highlands. No doubt, I looked silly trotting around the store in my new shoes, but who cares.

In the end, I purchased a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy 6 shoes. They have lots of cushion and felt extremely light when pounding the hard asphalt. They also feature a shiny silver emblem reminscent of the disco era, which I find mildly amusing.

I also took the plunge and bought the Nike + Ipod sensor and pouch for my new shoes. My loving wife gave me an Ipod Nano for Christmas this year and the it has been one of the greatest presents ever. I wear it all the time, work, running, doing housework, etc. I now have a soundtrack for my life.

The Nike + Ipod sensor is incredible. I used it for the first time on Sunday during my long run. I simply set a distance of 4 miles in my Ipod and hit start. During the course of my run, a soothing voice would interrupt the music and update my progress. There are more options that I haven't discovered yet, but the benefits of this little device seem to greatly outweigh the low cost ($29).

I ran 4 miles at a 11'33" pace which was my goal. Later in the day, I felt tired but generally good. I think I could have pushed one more mile, but a slow and steady training progression is better so I don't injure myself.

I really think anyone can take up running and succeed if done smartly. During the run I experienced a true "breakthrough" moment as the pain subsided and I was overcome with an overwhelming feeling of optimism and euphoria. It is truly incredible. With every run, I feel more like a runner and an athlete, and that's a feeling that is priceless.

No comments: