Monday, February 5, 2007

A Fresh Outlook

I ran yesterday and my ankle hurt...bad. I could only finish about 1.67 miles. My pace was good but the pain was too much and I feared further injuring my tender ankle so I stopped.

Downtrodden, I entered my house following the failed attempt. Disgusted, I ripped off my gloves and threw them on the table.

"How did you do?", Robin asked.
"Lousy".

I grabbed my Pepsi bottle filled with ice, sat at the kitchen island, untied my shoes and socks and began to put icy pressure on my left ankle. All the while, negative thoughts bounced in my brain. How could this be happening? I have to get over this injury. I rested an entire week and it feels worse than before.

before I could say anything, Robin entered the room and offered words of consolation.

"You'll complete the mini-marathon. Even of you fall behind in your training program. You may not run the entire distance. You may have to take walk breaks, but you WILL finish".

Just then, my solitary pity party ended. She was right and I knew it. I went upstairs. As I waited for the shower water to warm, I stared at myself in the mirror. Dad always accused me of looking at myself too much in the mirror. Only this time, I wasn't all that impressed.

I got angry, but not at my misfortune. I got angry that I almost allowed this injury to stop my forward progress. This isn't the end. Not unless I decide it is. I could be doing other things. Riding the stationary bike, lifting weights, or using the low-impact elliptical machine while my ankle fully heals. That way, when I return to the road I will be stronger and lighter than ever. With Robin's help, I regained my resolve.

I have several weeks before the mini-marathon and I may be forced to make adjustments to my goal. But one thing is for certain. This injury won't stop me.

Later that morning, in lieu of church, I sat down with my kids to do a bible study. I chose I Corinthians 9:24..."Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize".

I will not run aimlessly, or fight like a man beating the air. I will beat my body and make it a slave to my will, so I will not be disqualified from the prize.

No comments: