Monday, January 15, 2007

Vision Quest

The Lakota Indians believed in the concept of a vision quest as a rite of passage. During these ordeals, young teens would fast, seek the guidance of tribal holy men, and leave the confines of their community to venture into the wilderness. This sojourn served to encourage personal growth and spiritual realization.

Comparing a running regiment to a Native American vision quest is haughty on all levels; however, there are significant physical and psychological impacts on the runner after time. The physical effects are obvious; better health and wellness, weight loss, gained strength, endurance and energy.

The mental effects outweigh the physical by far, though. The overwhelming sense of accomplishment when I achieve a new personal best or have a particularly good workout. The quiet peace that envelops the runner during the run when all things go numb and all your worries wash into the pavement with every pounding step. I think that's the main reason I look forward to running. Everything else ceases and I can find that thin place where the veil between Heaven and Earth seems translucent.

This all sounds so pretentious, and I honestly don't mean to overstate and write dramatically. I feel strongly that all people seek to find that spot in the universe where they feel the most connected with some higher power. We all get there different ways: writing, painting, working on cars, fishing, hiking, playing with our kids, etc.

I think this is one reason I feel that I will keep running long after I've reached my goals. I'm not ready to let that feeling go.

Sunday, I ran 4.71 miles at a great pace (10'38"). I used the timed workout feature on the Nike + Ipod device, and set the workout for 45 minutes. I actually ran a little over 50 minutes and felt great during and after the run.

This weekend I'll try to tackle 6 miles. I think I'm ready, and I'm looking forward to seeing another thin place.

No comments: