Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Plantar Fasciitis

During my training I anticipated injury. I knew it was a only a matter of time as I consistently push my body further and further.

Sunday, after my 4-mile run, I experienced some sharp pains in my right heel. I iced and elevated the heel that evening and attributed the discomfort to my new running shoes.

The next day I completed my planned 30 minute run, running 2.63 miles at 11'25" average pace. Again, after the run I felt significant discomfort in my right heel. I resigned to calling Fleet Feet the next morning, concerned that my new shoes were not quite right for my feet.

I called Fleet Feet and they recommended I come in to get checked out, so I did during my lunch break. There was no doubt upon examination that the pain was plantar fasciitis...my first sports injury.

Basically, plantar fasciitis is inflammation or, in severe cases, tearing of the plantar fascia tendon on the bottom of the foot. The good news; almost every runner suffers from this at one point or another. In addition, you can still train through the ailment as long as certain precautions are observed.

So this morning I ate my frosted mini-wheats while rolling my foot on a Dr. Pepper bottle filled with ice. The icy massage was a great way to start the day and my foot feels super so far. I'm looking forward to running 5k after work today and diligently stretching afterwards. Tonight, I'll repeat my ice bottle massage.

No comments: