Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Playlists and Other News

Here's a list of some of my favorite running songs:

  1. Baba O'Riley - The Who - The opening synthesizer riff does something special to get my legs moving again. I like to put this song towards the end of a run so it pumps me up.
  2. Release Me - Pearl Jam - I know most of you are thinking, "That song is painfully slow". That's true, but it is also very relaxing and hypnotic, and really helps me find my groove while running.
  3. Going the Distance - Cake - C'mon...what runner wouldn't have this song on their playlist? Great beat, great lyrics and a great theme.
  4. In the Crossfire - StarSailor - Opens with the prophetic lyrics, "I don't see myself when I look in the mirror, I see the person that I want to be".
  5. Philosophy - Ben Folds Five - "Go ahead you can laugh all you want, but I got my Philosophy!" Upbeat song, with a good tempo and enough happy chords to keep you positive when the miles get grueling.

And now for some songs that will never make my running playlist but are in every other playlist:

  1. It Never Entered my Mind - Miles Davis - Good for dancing slow with your wife or reading a book on a rainy spring day. Not so good for running.
  2. Dear Someone - Gillian Welch - If you haven't discovered Gillian Welch's demure and silky voice, you really are missing out on one of America's treasures. This song highlights the whimsical beauty of her Appalachian infused folk.
  3. Wrecking Ball - Gillian Welch - Another beauty from Welch. It's sad and poignant and the music is amazing.
  4. Turn Me On - Norah Jones - If you haven't discovered Norah Jones demure and...wait a minute, didn't I just do this.
  5. Wayfaring Stranger - Sam Bush - Bush is the undisputed master of the mandolin. His version of Wayfaring Stranger is incredible.

Okay, so those are some of my favorite songs right now. Some are good for running, some aren't.

Saturday, I ran 10k in Cherokee Park. For the first time, I ran with the group at Fleet Feet on Bardstown Road. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. As I started running with the group, I noticed the pace was very brisk. About 1k into the run, I struggled to keep up with the more seasoned runners.

It was decision time. Should I try to keep up with that pace and jeopardize my planned distance or break off and find my own groove. Ultimately, I chose to run solo. I actually enjoy running alone. It's very introspective and quiet. I finished the run with a little strength left but not much. It was a tough run, conquering the steep hills and cold temperatures.

I did post a personal best fastest mile (10'15") and 5k (32'59"). I rested on Sunday and ran yesterday. I felt possessed and ran hard out of the gate posting a new fastest mile (9'54") and 5k (32'20").

My first race is coming up in a five weeks, the Anthem 5k. My goal is to run that in 31 minutes or less. I feel well on my way to achieving that goal.

Also, my sister confirmed she will run the Derby Festival mini-marathon with me on April 29th. I'm very excited to have a running partner, but also genuinely thrilled to spend some quality with my New Jersey family. Hopefully, Mom will make the trip as well to cheer us on.

No comments: