Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Conservation of Effort

In the wild, creatures of all shapes and sizes look to survive while dispensing the least amount of effort or energy. Deer will find the path of least resistance through a forest and wear down obvious trails. Predators prey on the weak and young to conserve valuable energy. Fish pounce on smaller, injured specimens for quick, easy meals.

Humans are no different. In fact, most modern innovation is the result of laziness, or, as I like to call it, conservation of effort. Look at the list of 20th century innovations: microwaves, remote controls, floor-sweeping robots, bidets, etc. All are designed so we can sit on the couch longer and enjoy our bag of chips fried on partially hydrogenated oil.

I am no different and I have no right to stand on any soapbox. I am always looking for ways to conserve effort in my daily routine. Sometimes, I find answers in the most unlikely places...

I took the family to a lovely neighborhood in the Highlands the other day for an annual Santa party. While standing on the porch of the host's house, I noticed a jogger zipping down the street. He was an older man, in his sixties probably, and was absolutely flying.

Then I saw his feet. They barely moved. His arms too; they were very still. I thought about my own running, flailing and bounding down the road, arms flapping like a tom turkey strutting a hen.

It made me think, "How much energy am I wasting running like this"?

The next day I ran like the old man I saw in the highlands. Unbelievable. It made a huge difference. I had a super run with energy to spare when I finished.

Every little breakthrough is cause for celebration during this journey. Now if I can just find a way to keep my shins from cramping up...

No comments: