Monday, December 11, 2006

Collateral Affects

Today I discovered a most pleasant side affect of this running and fitness craze. My children want to participate. In particular, my daughter begged to work out with me. So, Instead of working out at the gym at work, I came home to jog with my daughter.

As I walked out the door, my son also wanted to join us. The plan was to jog the same route I ran yesterday, a little under two miles. I thought that was a bit much for a four-year old, but I told him to get his shoes on and I would pick him up when I circled back past our house.

He waited with anticipation by the door as Anja and I came closer. To my surprise, he ran very well with us, never complaining and keeping up well.

I actually felt like a runner today, as the mileage I ran felt easier than before. After my workout, I realized the profound positive influence this has on my kids, seeing their father exercise and work towards a goal.

I never really thought about it until today. Seeing them participate with me is inspiration enough to continue. I hope today was not a one time deal, but that the little ones want to help and join me in the future.

In an age when kids spend most of their time firmly poised in front of a television playing XBox or watching cartoons, watching them run freely brings a smile to my face. And their enthusiasm and joy is much appreciated and frankly, much needed.

I need all the support I can get...even from the peanut gallery.

No comments: