Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Day Two...

At official weigh-in today, I busted the scales at 232.2 lbs. No wonder my legs feel severely punished after my "run" from yesterday. Despite the pain, I stuck with the program and worked out during my lunch hour at work. This time, however, I ran a cross-training program for 30 minutes on the eliptical machine. The machine provides a truly low-impact workout and it gave my body a rest from itself.

Losing weight is the goal for this month. I beleive the long runs will be much easier in January if I can drop a significant amount of wieght.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the positive response from everyone I've told about this endeavor. Not a single person has discouraged me or told me that this goal is impossible. It really flabbergasts me. It's as if they see me and say, "so what if he's a big, fat guy. He can run 26.2 miles". The people I talk to seem more diluted than I am. I'm not complaining though. I need all the positive energy I can muster.

I try not to look at my odometer anymore. Everytime I clock mileage I cry a little inside. To put things in prespective, I drive 17 miles to work every day. That means I could run to work and I'd still have 9.2 miles to go.

A good friend of mine, whose husband runs marathons says its not the 26 miles that get you, its the .2 at the end. Well, right now the .2 at the beginning winds me and makes me feel physically ill. With preperation, though, I'm sure that will all change.

I'll talk to you tomorrow...

No comments: