Friday, December 8, 2006

On Seviche & Flan

OK, so my last post was a bit odd. As most can guess at this point, I'm not that high-brow. I think self-deprecation is healthy to some degree and freely share embarrassing tidbits about myself. I also think this blog would be pretty boring if I didn't explore different subjects. I just didn't think that one of the subjects would be gas. Oh well.

Those that know me well, find this no surprise.

Anyway, at official weigh-in yesterday I was 230 lbs exactly. If I've done my math correctly, that means I've lost 2.2 lbs! After my workout, where I ran and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I weighed 229 lbs.

My training may have gotten a setback last night. We had our holiday dinner at Seviche on Bardstown Road, right here in beautiful Louisville, Kentucky. Seviche's menu is this funky nuevo latino inspired mish-mosh of stuff. In addition to the restaurant's namesake, seviche (a classic Latin-American dish of seafood cooked in lemon and lime juices) the menu also featured classic dishes from Brazil, Peru and Mexico.

We had a good time, sampling several appetizers like goat cheese and mushroom empenadas and chino latino tuna seviche. I settled on a dish called plato, which was two duck breasts cooked perfectly rare over a bed of chorizo dirty rice and some sort of smokey poblano sauce. It was delicious.

The real showpiece, though, was the desert: rum infused caramel flan. OMG!!! I love flan, but this took that love to a whole new level. I can't begin to describe the creamy texture or rich chocolate sauce delicately dribbled over this decedent culinary adventure. It came served in a generous wedge, like a piece of pie. This was truly my favorite part of the meal.

My weigh-in today may reflect the large amount of food I partook of last night. C'est la vie. It was worth it. Even so, after only a few days of consistently exercising I feel better and more energetic. I also sleep like a log at night, which is a new experience for me.

I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with my decision to run the marathon. I think the benefits of such an endeavor outweigh any hardships. Yeah, I'm sore everywhere, and finding time to exercise daily with my busy schedule is a hassle. But look at me. I'm getting in shape (slowly), and my body will thank me for it later in life.

Talk to you later.

1 comment:

smacky said...

So my birthday dinner was at Seviche. I had never been there before, but many people have said good things about it and of course there was your stellar review here on the blog. I simply don't have the words to describe the delight. "So yummy" doesn't quite do it justice, but it's all I've got right now. Delish!