Monday, March 12, 2007

12 Miles

12 miles. I just like to say it out loud, or see it on a the page. That's what I ran on Saturday. Afterwards, I felt great. I still feel great.

In my last post, I mentioned my goal to run 20 mile weeks continuously. This past week I ran 24.34 miles and burned a total of 4224 calories. That's almost a whole Big Mac!

Seriously, I feel like an athlete again. Today I ran a 5k after work to get some miles in and set a personal best of 29'49". I try to use the shorter runs to improve on speed while my long runs test endurance and muscle stamina. I usually slow down a bit when completing a long run so I know I have enough in the tank to finish.

My beloved music professor from college once told me, "don't let all the horses out of the barn at the beginning of a piece of music". The same holds true for a long run. Start slow and you will finish strong. Start to fast, and you'll be struggling at the end.

This weekend is the Rodes City Run, a 10k through downtown. I'm looking forward to completing another race and working closer towards my goal.

No comments: